Revelation given in Kirtland Ohio, December 16, 1833. Recorded as Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:1-5l for Community of Christ, and 101:1-40 for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This version of the revelations was taken from Revelation Book 1, pages 183-185. Inspired changes made for its use for the Church of Jesus Christ in Christian Fellowship and other known changes are in italics.
- [98:1/101:1-3] Verily I, say unto you, concerning your brethren, who have been afflicted, and persecuted, and cast out from the land of their inheritances: I the Lord have suffered the affliction to come upon them wherewith they have been afflicted in consequence of their transgressions; yet, I will own them, and they shall be mine in the day when I shall make up my Jewels.
- [98:2a/101:4] ¶ Therefore, they must needs be chastened, and tried, even as Abraham, who was commanded to offer up his only Son:
- [98:2b/101:5] For all those who will not endure chastening but deny me, cannot be sanctified.
- [98:3a1/101:6a] Behold, I say unto you, there were jarrings, and contentions, and strife, and lustful and covetous desires among them:
- [98:3a2/101:6b] Therefore, by these things they polluted their inheritances.
- [98:3b/101:7] They were slow to hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; therefore, the Lord their God is slow to hearken unto their prayers, to answer them in the day of their trouble.
- [98:3c/101:8] In the day of their peace they esteemed lightly my counsel; but in the day of their trouble, of necessity, they feel of after me.
- [98:4a/101:9] ¶ Verily, I say unto you, notwithstanding their sins my bowels are filled with compassion towards them; I will not utterly cast them off; and in the day of wrath I will remember mercy.
- [98:4b/101:10] ¶ I have sworn and the decree hath gone forth by a former commandment which I have given unto you, that I would let fall the sword of mine indignation in the behalf of my people, and even as I have said, so it shall come to pass.
- [98:4c/101:11] Mine indignation is soon to be poured out without measure upon all nations; and this will I do, when the cup of their iniquity is full.
- [98:4d/101:12] And in that day all who are found upon the watchtower, or in other words, all mine Israel shall be saved:
- [98:4e/101:13-15] And they that have been scattered shall be gathered, and all they who have mourned shall be comforted, and all they who have given their lives for my name shall be crowned:
- [98:4f/101:16] Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion, for all flesh is in mine hands; be still, and know that I am God.
- [98:4g1/101:17-18] Zion shall not be moved out of her place; notwithstanding her children are scattered; they that remain and are pure in heart, shall return and come to their inheritances, they and their children with songs of everlasting joy, to build up the waste places of Zion.
- [98:4g2/101:19] And all these things that the prophets might be fulfilled.
- [98:4h/101:20-21a] ¶ And behold, there is none other place appointed, than that which I have appointed; neither shall there be any other place appointed, than that which I have appointed for the work of the gathering of my Saints, until the day cometh, when there is found no more room for them;
- [98:4i/101:21b] And then I have other places which I will appoint unto them, and they shall be called Stakes, for the curtains or strength of Zion.
- [98:5a/101:22-23] ¶ Behold, it is my will, that all who call on my name, and worship me according to mine everlasting gospel, should gather together, and stand in holy places, and prepare for the revelation which is to come, when the veil of the covering of my temple in my tabernacle, which hideth the earth shall be taken off, and all flesh shall see me together;
- [98:5b1/101:24] And every corruptible thing, both of man and of the beasts of the field, or of the fowls of heaven, or of the fish of the sea, that dwell upon all the face of the earth, shall be consumed;
- [98:5b2/101:25] And also, that of element, shall melt with fervent heat; and all things shall become new; that my knowledge and glory, may dwell upon all the earth.
- [98:5c/101:26] And in that day the enmity of man, and the enmity of beasts, yea, the enmity of all flesh shall cease from before my face.
- [98:5d/101:27] ¶ And in that day whatever any man shall ask it shall be given unto him.
- [98:5e/101:28-29] And in that day Satan shall not have power to tempt any man; and there shall be no sorrow; because there is no death:
- [98:5f/101:30-31] In that day an infant shall not die until he is old, and his life shall be as the age of a tree; and when he dies he shall not sleep, (that is to say in the earth,) but shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye, and shall be caught up and his rest shall be glorious.
- [98:5g1/101:32] ¶ Yea, verily I say unto you, in that day when the Lord shall come he shall reveal all things:
- [98:5g2/101:33a] Things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew;
- [98:5g3/101:33b] Things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof;
- [98:5g4/101:34a] Things most precious; things that are above and things that are beneath;
- [98:5g5/101:34b] Things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven.
- [98:5h/101:35] And all they who suffer persecution for my name, and endure in faith though they are called to lay down their lives for my sake, yet shall they partake of all this glory.
- [98:5i/101:36] ¶ Wherefore, fear not, even unto death, for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your Joy is full.
- [98:5j/101:37-38] ¶ Therefore, care not for the body, neither for the life of the body; but care for the soul, and for the life of the soul; and seek the peace of the Lord always, that in patience you may possess your souls, and ye shall have eternal life.
- [98:5k/101:39] ¶ When men are called unto mine everlasting gospel, and covenant with an everlasting covenant, they are accounted as the salt of the earth and the savor of men, they are called to be the savor of men.
- [98:5l/101:40] Therefore, if that salt of the earth, loose its savor, behold it is thenceforth, good for nothing, only to be cast out and trodden under the feet of men. Even so; Amen.
Concerning the Children of Zion
Revelation given in Kirtland Ohio, December 17, 1833. Recorded as Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:5m-13 for Community of Christ, and 101:41-101 for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This version of the revelations was taken from Revelation Book 1, pages 185-189. Inspired changes made for its use for the Church of Jesus Christ in Christian Fellowship and other known changes are in italics.
- [98:5m1/101:41] Behold, here is wisdom concerning the children of Zion: Even many, but not all; they were found transgressors, therefore they must needs be chastened.
- [98:5m2/101:42] They that exalteth themselves shall be abased, and they that abaseth themselves shall be exalted.
- [98:6a-c/101:43-45] ¶ And now I will show unto you a parable, that you may know my will concerning the redemption of Zion: A certain nobleman had a spot of land very choice, and he said unto his servants: Go ye into my vineyard, even upon this very choice piece of land, and plant twelve olive-trees, and set watchmen about them, and build a tower, that one may overlook the land roundabout, to be a watchman upon the tower, that mine olive trees may not be broken down when the enemy shall come to spoil and take unto themselves the fruit of my vineyard.
- [98:6d/101:46] Now, the servants of this nobleman went and did as their lord commanded them and planted the olive trees and built a hedge round about and set watchmen, and began to build the tower.
- [98:6e1/101:47] And while they were yet laying the foundation thereof, they began to say among themselves: And what need hath my lord of a this Tower?
- [98:6e2/101:48] And consulted for a long time, saying among themselves, What need hath my Lord of this Tower seeing this is a time of peace?
- [98:6f/101:49] Might not this money be given to the exchangers? For there is no need of these things.
- [98:6g/101:50] And while they were yet at variance one with another, they became very slothful, and they hearkened not unto the commandment of their Lord;
- [98:6h/101:51] And the enemy came by night and broke down the hedge, and the servants of the noble-man arose and were affrighted and fled, and the enemy destroyed their works, and broke down the olive trees.
- [98:7a1/101:52-53a] Now behold the nobleman, the lord of the vineyard, called upon his servants, and said unto them: Why! What is the cause of this great evil! Ought ye not to have done even as I commanded you?
- [98:7a2-b/101:53b] And after ye had planted the vineyard, and built the hedge round about, and set watchmen upon the walls thereof, built the tower also, and set a watchman upon the tower? and watched for my vineyard, and not have fallen asleep, lest the enemy should come upon you?
- [98:7c/101:54] And behold, the watchman upon the Tower, would have seen the enemy while he was yet afar off, and then ye could have made ready and kept the enemy from breaking down the hedge thereof, and saved my vineyard from the hands of the destroyer.
- [98:7d-e/101:55-56] And the Lord of the vineyard said unto one of his servants: Go and gather together the residue of my servants, and take all the strength of mine house, which are my warriors, my young men, and they that are of middle age also, among all my servants, who are the strength of my house, save those only whom I have appointed to tarry and go ye straightway unto the land of my vineyard, and redeem my vineyard, for it is mine, I have bought it with money.
- [98:7f-g/101:57-58] Wherefore, get ye straightway to my land, break down the wall of mine enemies, throw down their tower and scatter their watchman; and inasmuch as they gather together against you, avenge me of mine enemies, that by and by I may come with the residue of mine house and possess the Land.
- [98:8a/101:59] And the servant said unto his lord: When shall all these things be?
- [98:8b1/101:60] And he said unto his servant: When I will; go ye straightway and do all things whatsoever I have commanded you;
- [98:8b2/101:61] And this shall be my seal and blessing upon you: A faithful and wise steward in the midst of mine house a ruler in my kingdom.
- [98:8c/101:62] And his servant went straightway and did all things whatsoever his lord commanded him, and after many days all things were fulfilled.
- [98:9a1/101:63] ¶ And again, verily I say unto you: I will show unto you wisdom in me concerning all the Churches, in as much as they are willing to be guided in a right and proper way for their salvation;
- [98:9a2/101:64] That the work of the gathering together of my saints may continue, that I may build them up unto my name, upon holy places; for the time of harvest is come, and my word must needs be fulfilled.
- [98:9b/101:65] Therefore I must gather together my people according to the parable of the wheat and tears; that the wheat may be secured in the garner, to possess eternal life and be crowned with celestial glory, when I shall come in the kingdom of my Father, to reward every man according as his work shall be.
- [98:9c/101:66] While the tares shall be bound in bundles, and their bands made strong that they may be burned with unquenchable fire.
- [98:9d/101:67] ¶ Therefore, a commandment I give unto all the Churches, that they shall continue to gather together unto the place which I have appointed:
- [98:9e/101:68] Nevertheless, as I have said unto you, in a former commandment, let not your gathering be in haste, nor by flight; but let all things be prepared before you.
- [98:9f/101:69-70] And in order that all things be prepared before you, observe the commandments which I have given concerning these things: which saith or teacheth, to purchase all the lands by money which can be purchased for money in the regions round about the land which I have appointed to be the land of Zion; for the beginning of the gathering of my Saints;
- [98:9g/101:71] All the land which can be purchased in Jackson County, and the counties round about, and leave the residue in mine hand.
- [98:10a/101:72] ¶ Now, verily I say unto you: Let all the Churches gather together all their money, and let these things be done in their time; be not in haste and observe to have all things prepared before you.
- [98:10b1/101:73] And let honorable men be appointed; even wise men and send them to purchase these lands.
- [98:10b2/101:74] ¶ And every Church in the eastern countries, when they are built up, if they will hearken unto this counsel and they may buy lands and gather together on them; and in this way they may establish Zion.
- [98:10c/101:75] There is even now already in store a sufficient; yea, even abundance to redeem Zion, and establish her waste places no more to be thrown down, were the churches who call themselves after my name, willing to hearken to my voice.
- ¶ [98:10d-g/101:76-79] And again, I say unto you, those who have been scattered by their enemies: It is my will that they should continue to importune for redress and redemption by the hands of those who are placed as rulers, and are in authority over you, according to the law and constitution of the people which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principals, that every man may act in doctrine and principal pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency of which I have given unto them, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment; therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.
- [98:10h/101:80] And for this purpose have I stablished the constitution of this land by the hands of wise men, whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.
- [98:11a-b/101:81-82] ¶ Now unto what shall I liken the children of Zion? I will liken them unto the parable of the woman and the unjust Judge, (for men ought always to pray and not faint) which saith: There was in a city a Judge which feared not God neither regarded man;
- [98:11c/101:83] And there was a widow in that city, and she came unto him Saying, Avenge me of mine adversary:
- [98:11d1/101:84] And he would not for a while, but afterwards he said within himself: Though I fear not God nor regard man; yet because this widow troubleth me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.
- [98:11d2-12a/101:85-89] ¶ Thus, will I liken the children of Zion: Let them importune at the feet of the Judge; and if he heed them not, let them importune at the feet of the Governor, and if the Governor heed them not, let them importune at the feet of the President;
- [98:12b1/101:90-91a] And if the President heed them not, then will the Lord arise and come forth out of his hiding place, and in his fury vex the nation;
- [98:12b2/101:91b] And in His hot displeasure and in His fierce anger in his time will He cut off these wicked unfaithful and unjust stewards, and appoint them their portion among hypocrites and unbelievers, even in outer darkness, where there is weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth.
- [98:12c/101:92] ¶ Pray ye therefore, that their ears may be opened unto your cries, that I may be merciful unto them, that these things may not come upon them.
- [98:12d-e/101:93-95] What I have said unto you must needs be that all men may be left without excuse that wise men and rulers may hear and know that which they have never considered; that I may proceed to bring to pass my act, my strange act, and perform my work, my strange work, that men may decern between the righteous and the wicked, saith your God.
- [98:13a/101:96] ¶ And again, I say unto you: It is contrary to my commandments and my will, that my servant Algernon Sidney Gilbert should sell my storehouse which I have appointed unto my people, into the hands of mine enemies.
- [98:13b/101:97-98] Let not that which I have appointed be polluted by mine enemies, by the consent of those who call themselves after my name; for this is a very sore and grievous sin against me and against my people, in consequence of those things which I have decreed, and are soon to befall the nations.
- [98:13c/101:99] ¶ Therefore, it is my will that my people should claim and hold claim upon that which I have appointed unto them, though they should not be permitted to dwell thereon.
- [98:13d/101:100] Nevertheless, I do not say that they shall not dwell thereon for inasmuch as they bring forth fruit and works meet for my kingdom, they shall dwell thereon:
- [98:13e/101:101] They shall build and another shall not inherit it; they shall plant vinyards and they shall eat the fruit thereof: Even so; Amen.
Revelation given in Kirtland Ohio, February 24, 1834. Recorded as Doctrine and Covenants Section 100 for Community of Christ, and 103 for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This version of the revelations was taken from Revelation Book 1, pages 189-192. Inspired changes made for its use for the Church of Jesus Christ in Christian Fellowship and other known changes are in italics.
- [100:1a1/103:1] Verily I say unto you, my friends: Behold, I will give unto you a revelation and commandment, that you may know how to act in the discharge of your duties concerning the salvation and redemption of your brethren who have been scattered from the land of Zion:
- [100:1a2/103:2] Being driven and smitten by the hands of mine enemies on whom I will pour out of my wrath without measure in mine own time.
- [100:1b/103:3-4] For I have suffered these things from them thus far, that they might fill up the measure of their iniquities, that their cup might be full, and that those who call themselves after my name might be chastened for a little season, with a sore and grievous chastisement; and this because they did not altogether hearken altogether unto the precepts and commandments which I gave unto them.
- [100:2a/103:5] ¶ But, verily I say unto you, that I have decreed a decree which my people shall realize in as much as they hearken from this hour unto the counsel which I, the Lord their God, shall give unto them.
- [100:2b1/103:6] Behold they shall, for I have decreed it, begin to prevail against mine enemies from this very hour;
- [100:2b2/103:7] And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints to possess it forever and ever.
- [100:2c/103:8-9] ¶ But, inasmuch as they keep not my commandments and hearken not to observe all my words, the kingdoms of the world shall prevail against them; for they were set to be a light unto the world and to be the saviors of men:
- [100:2d/103:10] And in as much as they are not the saviors of men; they are as salt that has lost its savor, and is thence forth good for nothing but to be cast out and to be trodden under the feet of men.
- [100:3a/103:11-12] ¶ But, verily I say unto you: I have decreed that your brethren which have been scattered shall return to the lands of their inheritances and build up the waste places of Zion, for after much tribulation, as I have said unto you in a former commandment cometh the blessing:
- [100:3b/103:13] Behold, this is the blessing which I have promised after your tribulations, and the tribulations of your brethren; your redemption and the redemption of your brethren, even this their restoration to the land of Zion, to be established no more to be thrown down.
- [100:3c/103:14] Nevertheless, if they shall pollute their inheritances, they shall be thrown down; for I will not spare them if they shall pollute their inheritances.
- [100:3d1/103:15] Behold I say unto you that the redemption of Zion must needs come by power:
- [100:3d2-e1/103:16-17] Therefore I will raise up unto my people a man who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel; for ye are the children of Israel and of the seed of Abraham; and ye must needs be led out of bondage by power, and with a stretched out arm.
- [100:3e2/103:18] ¶ And as your fathers were led at the first, even so shall the redemption of Zion be;
- [100:3f1/103:19] Therefore, let not your hearts faint; for I say not unto you, as I said unto your fathers: mine angels shall go up before you, but not my presence:
- [100:3f2/103:20] But I say unto you: Mine angel shall go up before you, and also my presence, and in time ye shall possess the goodly land.
- [100:4/103:21] ¶ Verily, verily I say unto you, that my servant Joseph Smith Jr. is the man to whom I likened the servant to whom the lord of the vineyard spoke in the parablea which I have given unto you;
- [100:5a/103:22] ¶ Therefore let my servant Joseph say unto the strength of my house, my young men, and middle aged gather together unto the land of Zion, upon the lands which I have bought with money that have been consecrated unto me:
- [100:5b1/103:23] And let all the churches send up wise men, with their money and purchase lands even as I have commanded them.
- [100:5b2-c1/103:24] And inasmuch as mine enemies come against you to drive you from my goodly land which I have consecrated to be the land of Zion; even from your own lands, after these testimonies which ye have brought before men against them ye shall curse them;
- [100:5c2/103:25-26] And whomsoever ye will curse I will curse, and ye shall avenge me of mine enemies; and my presence shall be with you, even in avenging me of mine enemies unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.
- [100:6a/103:27-28] Let no man be afraid to lay down his life for my sake, for whoso layeth down his life for my sake shall find it again, and whoso is not willing to lay down his life for my sake is not my disciple.
- [100:6b/103:29] ¶ It is my will that my servant Sidney Rigdon should lift up his voice in the congregations in the eastern countries in preparing the churches to keep the commandments which I have given unto them concerning the restoration and redemption of Zion.
- [100:6c/103:30] It is my will that my servant Parley P. Pratt and my servant Lyman Wight should not return to the land of their brethren until they have obtained companies to go up unto the land of Zion, by tens, or by twenties or by fifties. or by a hundred, until they have obtained unto the number of five hundred of the strength of my house.
- [100:6d-e/103:31-33] Behold this is my will—ask and ye shall receive but men do not always do my will; therefore, if ye cannot obtain five hundred, seek diligently, that peradventure ye may obtain three; and if ye cannot obtain three hundred, seek diligently that peradventure ye may obtain one hundred:
- [100:6f/103:34] But verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto you, that you shall not go up unto the land of Zion until you have obtained a hundred of the strength of my house, to go up with you unto the land of Zion;
- [100:6g/103:35] Therefore, as I said unto you: Ask and you shall receive; pray earnestly, that peradventure my servant Baurak Aleb may go up with you and preside in the midst of my people and organize my kingdom upon the consecrated land, and establish the children of Zion upon the laws and commandments which have been given, and which shall be given unto you.
- [100:6a/103:36] ¶ All victory and glory is brought to pass unto you through your diligence, faithfulness, and prayers of faith.
- [100:6b-c/103:37-40] Let, my servant Parley P. Pratt journey with my servant Joseph Smith Jr., let my servant Lyman Wight journey with my servant Sidney Rigdon, let my servant Hyrum Smith journey with my servant Frederick G. Williams let my Servant Orson Hyde Journey with my servant Orson Pratt withersoever my servant Joseph shall counsel them in obtaining the fulfilment of these commandments which I have given you, and leave the residue in my hands; Even so, Amen.
a. See DoS 101b:3-18.
b. While the oldest copies of the revelation read “Joseph,” this revelation was printed in the 1844 edition of the DaC, CI:5 as: “ Therefore, let my servant Baurak Ale say unto the strength of my house…” Baurak Ale is likely from the Hebrew meaning “Blessed of God.” While this is a code name, it could also mean that this part of the revelation could refer to anyone God calls to organize the Saints, and not just Joseph Smith Jr.